Rob and Denise joined me today to run this race -- and when I say "joined" I mean: coached, pushed, cajoled, encouraged, cheered and got me to the finish line in under 44 minutes. Denise did everything possible to give me confidence while Rob went into full coach mode and pushed me really hard the last mile. I think I needed these contrasting styles today. (And I definitely needed more cowbell.)
I can't believe how difficult this run was for me, and I am so grateful that they were willing to help me accomplish my goal.
A few highlights:
- This was the longest distance I've run since being diagnosed with kidney disease.
- I only stopped to walk three times.
- I had a piece of my Dad with me; I wore a pair of his socks. I have no doubt that he helped give me the strength I needed.
- The course had several small inclines that mentally kicked my butt.
- I saw my friends Pat and Denny before the race, as Pat ran the 5-mile race at 8 a.m. It was GREAT to see them!
- I always like seeing the finish line, but this time it was even sweeter because my Mom was standing there waiting for us and cheering like crazy. Love you Mom!
- I slept for three hours when I got home. Tired, but happy.