Sunday, March 25, 2012

U-M Study

I'm happy to share that I'm taking part in a research study at U-M. I signed all the paperwork at my visit on March 14.

Researchers are trying to develop a new urine test for diagnosing and treating people with kidney disease. The test is based on research already done at U-M that shows that a special cell in the kidney filtering system can be damaged and excreted into the urine. Researchers would now like to develop a new urine test that will pick up on this cell, thus being able to diagnose kidney issues quicker than in the past. I'm very happy to be part of this research and hope that in the future doctors will be able to catch kidney disease earlier.

My participation will involve the one thing I've gotten pretty good at: peeing in a cup!

The test will last three years, and there is a "normal" group and an "abnormal" group. I, of course, am in the latter.

The hilarious side of this was the paperwork, because it was obvious that too many lawyers get involved with this stuff. I understand the need for me to sign off on privacy issues, but there was actually a section that addressed what should happen if I get injured during the study. Injured?? I'm just peeing in a cup! Do they mean like if I fall off the toilet and hit my head? I don't get it -- but I did sign and say I would tell the researchers if I have injuries or side effects. lol


2 comments:

  1. it's not quite 9:30 p.m. so I am early. Glad to hear you'll be helping (hel-peeing) with the research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Gifford humor. Dad taught you well. :)

    ReplyDelete